The Amanda & Jill Dean Direct Support Professional Award was created by the Dean Family to recognize an exceptional employee in the Direct Support professional field at The Arc of Howard County. This award is presented annually and includes a $1,000 cash gift to the recipient.
Direct Support Professional Recognition Week-September 12-18, 2021
The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) and the Maryland Department of Disabilities (MDOD) join others throughout the United States in marking September 12 through September 18, 2021, as Direct Support Professional (DSP) Recognition Week and plan to honor these outstanding Marylanders.
2021 Celebration of Excellence and 60th Year Celebration
The Arc of Howard County’s 2021 Celebration of Excellence was held virtually on May 12, 2021. Congratulations to all of our award winners for making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities!
- Self-Advocate of the Year: Jeffrey Jones, Carlotta Martin, and Janice Martin
- Excellence in Employment: Robert Walker, Natalie Dohner, and Vytex Windows
- Excellence in Professional Services: ALFA Specialty Pharmacy
- Excellence in Community: FEED HOWARD COUNTY
- Excellence in Public Service: Senator Clarence Lam and Delegate Eric Ebersole
- Volunteer of the Year: Matt Hart and Sarah Wheedleton
- The Amanda & Jill Dean Direct Support Professional Award: Annie Caldwell
- President’s Award: Richard Dean
- Employee of the Year: All of Arc of Howard County DSPs
- COVID-19 Heroes of the Year: Deborah Wagner and Naomi Lyvers
The Amanda & Jill Dean Direct Support Professional Award is an annual award created by the Dean family to each year honor a Direct Support Professional (DSP) or Direct Support Manager (DSM) who has gone above and beyond in their support of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and who demonstrates a commitment to The Arc’s mission and vision of achieving full community life for people with disabilities! Well deserved Annie!!
The Arc Maryland Awards and Annual Meeting will be held on September 17, 2020, at 6 p.m. Registration is now open! This year the celebration will be virtual. Register by September 4 to receive the event participation package.
The Arc Maryland Awards and Annual Meeting will be a celebration to honor the advocates, professionals, and volunteers who lead the charge in creating a world where people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) have and enjoy equal rights and opportunities!
You can participate in the virtual night of celebration on Thursday, September 17, 2020, from 6-8:30 p.m. on Zoom. If you need assistance to participate, please contact Luc Chausse or Arylon Brooks, or call 410-571-9320 and leave a message.
Direct Support Professional Recognition Week-September 13-19, 2020
The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) and the Maryland Department of Disabilities (MDOD) join others throughout the United States in marking September 13 through September 19, 2020, as Direct Support Professional (DSP) Recognition Week and plan to honor these outstanding Marylanders.
A Big Thank You to Vanessa Antrum at Maryland Association of Community Services (MACS) for featuring Senior Residential Program Manager Rhonda Braswell, Residential Managers Marie Ndjock, Warnette Owens-Moultrie, Jessicia Chaney today! Thank you for your support of The Arc of Howard County and for your recognition of these front line heroes!
The Arc of Howard County Holiday Party will be held:
December 15, 2019
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Turf Valley Resort
2700 Turf Valley Road
Ellicott City, MD 21042
- The Arc of Howard County Community Integration Services-Employment, Day Program, and Supported Retirement, and The Arc Transportation Services will be closed on Thursday, November 28th, and Friday, November 29th, 2019.
- The Arc of Howard County Administrative Offices will be closed on Thursday, November 28th, 2019.
- If you are supported by The Arc of Howard County and work on either of the above dates, please contact your Employment Specialist as The Arc of Howard County does not provide transportation to individual job sites on November 28th and November 29th, 2019. If you have any questions please contact The Arc of Howard County at 410-730-0638.
During the week of September 8th to 14th, 2019, The Arc of Howard County celebrated Direct Support Professional Recognition Week #DSPRW19. The Arc of Howard County joined in thanking Direct Support Professionals for the work they do to support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
As part of the celebration of #DSPRW19, The Arc Maryland released of the heart for it; a video developed in collaboration with partner organizations of The Arc in Maryland. The video, the heart for it, helps viewers better understand the work of Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) and their importance to the community. Showcasing stories from DSPs, and people they support, the heart for it shows what it means to be a Direct Support Professional or to receive support from one. Watch the video on The Arc Maryland’s Youtube or click on the video below. You might see a few very familiar faces!
Want to know what a Director Support Professional means to the individuals they support and their families? Read what The Arc Maryland had to say: